Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I have a slight addiction to (healthier) food blogs..


And I was so excited to try out this recipe! I woke up to about five inches of snow, which is all the excuse I need to start baking.

Baked goods are my weakness.. so when I find a 'smarter' version of a muffin, scone, cookie, whatever, I'm all over it.

Today's venture: Gnarley Muffins. With a name like that, I had to try them (Thanks to both Bob's Red Mill and Joy the Baker for the original recipe)

And just read all the good things packed in this recipe!


Gnarley Muffins


1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used whole wheat)

3/4 cup flax seed meal (I ground my own in a coffee grinder)

3/4 cup oat bran (I didn't have any oat bran, so I substituted ground rolled oats)

1 cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup brown sugar and 2 Tbs molasses)

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons cinnamon (I added a big pinch of ginger, too!)

1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded

2 apples peeled and shredded

1/2 cup raisins (optional)

1 cup nuts, chopped (optional) (I used pecans)

3/4 cup milk

2 eggs, beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1. Using a wooden spoon, mix together flour, flax seed meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.

2. Stir in carrots, apples, raisins and nuts.

3. Combine milk, eggs and vanilla. Pour liquid all at once into the dry/fruit mixture. Stir until ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.

4. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Yields 15 medium sized muffins. (I got 22!)


You know they sound good!

And they are.. mine needed a slightly longer baking time than called for- but the finished product is moist and delicious and will make for a wonderfully healthy breakfast tomorrow morning. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment